Friday, January 28, 2011

Four

I need to say that I feel like my normal self right now until I start trying to have a conversation with someone besides Trent or do something like update a blog or write a thank you note. Then I realize that I’m at the mercy of post-pregnancy hormones and 3 hour sleep stretches. Trent just asked if I was writing a really long post. Um, no, it’s just taking forever to come up with complete sentences.

IMG_4890

And even on my best day, how can I describe what a complete joy it is to welcome Tate to our family and have him as a part of my life? He’s wonderful. I’m blessed beyond my wildest dreams to have these two little guys near me every day. Rush is a great big brother, continuing to give lots of hugs and kisses to his little brother. Today Tate was laying on a blanket next to Rush while we were reading a book and Rush reached over to hold his hand. I’m so glad they have each other.

IMG_4881

My mom headed home yesterday after a week of helping us, and I’m not ashamed to admit that I spent most of her last day here tearing up when she mentioned going home and crying when she left. It was like being ten-year-old Kelly anticipating getting dropped of at camp, anticipating being homesick. It wasn’t because I was nervous about not having her help, it was because I knew I was going to genuinely miss having her around. It makes me so jealous of people who live in the same town as their parents, and not just for the free babysitting.

IMG_4840

I recently started to realize that having children is changing who I am, and in a good way. During the first week home with Tate it was cold and rainy for a few days and I started going stir crazy for fresh air. In my past life I would spend my entire lunch break reading at my desk and was generally content to be inside. I didn’t realize how accustomed I had become to spending every morning or afternoon (or both) in the yard or at the park or in the cul-de-sac. Tate had his first trip to the park when he was a few days old and we’re basically back to our daily outside routine.

IMG_4885

Tate has been a quiet little guy so far, but we did sneak some of the “happiest baby” techniques on him when he was crying the other night. Trent and I received the dvd as a gift after Rush was born and all the techniques to calm down a baby involve s-words: swaddle, shh-ing, side…this picture is “side”. He immediately calmed down, but his expression was clearly “I’m calm, but I don’t know why, and I would probably rather be crying.”

IMG_4913

So being a family of four is rolling along fantastically. 7:40 PM on a Friday night, both boys are sleeping, and I’m heading to bed because one of those boys won’t be sleeping for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment