Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Love Child of Ronald McDonald and The Hamburgler

Sometime last year, my aunt told us about a book she was reading, Born to Run, about people in Mexico (I think) who run incredibly long distances, barefoot.  Then in December two of our friends read it and passed the book to Trent, who read it over Christmas.  Trent talked about the book so constantly while he read it that I feel like I heard enough to not read it.  It’s similar to just watching the movie instead of reading the book, so I get the feeling I’m missing out on the best of Born to Run

IMG_0179

Trent is running the Houston Marathon this weekend and has successfully made it through the worst part of a marathon:  the 20 mile solo training runs that start at 4:45 AM on a Saturday.  Trent typically refuels during his runs with GU or Shot Bloks, concentrated energy gel food…(what am I talking about?  This whole post is hearsay.  Who do I think I am, Bill Bryson writing about hiking the Appalachian Trail?)

ANYWAY.  In Born to Run, these super runners refuel with something called pinole, a cornmeal based energy food.  Trent decided to make it.  When he looked up recipes, he found a lot of blogs with pinole recipes that ended with, “It didn’t turn out exactly like I wanted it, so I’m going to try again.” and then never a post about the trying again.  So Trent experimented and came up with a successful pinole recipe, tested by himself on a 15 mile run. 

IMG_0178

Trent’s Pinole

1/2 cup toasted finely ground corn meal (grind cornmeal in a coffee grinder, then toast in a skillet until light brown but not burned)

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 Tbsp honey, dissolved in 5 Tbsp hot water

1/4 cup chopped, dried apricots

3 dollops peanut butter

Mix together, form into cookie or bar shape and bake 10-15 minutes at 350F.  Enjoy liberally for all your endurance energy needs.

He’s still running Sunday’s marathon with margarita flavored Shot Bloks, because three weeks before a 26.2 mile run is no time to change your strategy.  He’s also running with shoes, although he was highly inspired by the barefoot runners in the book.  Shoes or no shoes, I’m looking forward to cheering him on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment