Sunday, October 6, 2013

On *Not* Being A Quitter

I am genuinely surprised every single time I finish a project, which I trace back to the cross stitch I started in elementary school and never finished.  My mom bought two cross stitches, one each for my sister and me to make for our grandmothers.  Casey finished hers and continued on to become a successful embroiderer.  Mine floated through my dresser drawers, half finished and ignored, for years. 

The curse has lifted, I’m free:  I started and finished a cross stitch, un-ironed in the photo to prove to my mom that, yes, I did use an embroidery hoop.

IMG_1138

Trent and I have been watching Breaking Bad in its entirety and I like the drug underworld-cross stitch juxtaposition.  I’m looking at an embroidery hoop/thread/needle, but hearing Gus tell Walt he’s going to kill his entire family.  It works to both tone down the show and give an edginess to the needlework.

The trick to this new hobby is that any kit I have found for a reasonable cost looks like it was designed in 1989 and designing my own patterns on graph paper is surprisingly much more difficult than one would expect.  The library, as usual, came through with a book of 500 patterns, alphabets, borders, animals and such, which was just the help I needed to actually design a pattern on graph paper. 

IMG_1137

Now that I’ve conquered completing a cross stitch, Trent has proposed a new challenge. 

Eat this whole bag-

IMG_1140

I wish.

There’s a strange worry in my subconscious that if I wait until too close to Halloween to buy candy, the stores will sell out and we will have to keep our porch light off.  A simple solution is to buy the candy early in October.  Trent was with me when I picked up the candy on Saturday and seems to think I’m going to start sneaking candy.  He pretty much dared me not to open the bag- dare grudgingly accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment