Friday, July 2, 2010

Rush and the Giant Peach


Last weekend we went to visit Casey and Chris in Austin. Hunter came in from Tyler, so it was another rare weekend with my siblings. We ended up going to Mansfield Dam on Saturday and spending the day at what I think is a lake created by putting a dam on the Colorado River. That may or may not be correct, but for some reason I couldn't confirm anything on the internet. It appeared to be a lake.

Being beach people we rarely have the lake experience, so it's a nice treat to be in a lake and a reminder of how nice it is (as long as you don't let your feet touch the bottom.) I'm always surprised by the size of lakes, since in my head I usually picture the Camp Allen lake, which is small enough that I could canoe across it with Kate as a 6th grader. We had a great spot at a picnic table under a huge tree and I spent about 75% of the day sitting under the tree eating Doritos. Trent and Hunter went scuba diving and while visibility was almost zero they were at least able to brush up on their skills.


It was my first visit to Casey and Chris's new house, which I want to steal. Literally, I want to steal the entire structure, drive to Austin, put it on a gigantic trailer and bring it home with me. It's my dream house. I love ranch style homes. Rush loved playing in a big cardboard box that they made into a house.

As for this weekend, it's looking like our Fourth of July plans may be thwarted by rain drenching the area thanks to Hurricane/Tropical Storm Alex, however many miles away. I'm used to Labor Day plans being cancelled due to hurricanes - that happens approximately every other year. But July 4th? That's a scary, early start.

No comments:

Post a Comment