Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Friend Test

For years I’ve been baffled by the throw pillow dilemma.  I wanted new pillows for our bedroom, but it appears that everyone else in my price range has completely different taste.  Making pillows was going to be fairly expensive as well, once I paid for yards of heavier fabric and stuffing.  Then the other day I was –shocker- browsing through Target and found the perfect solution:  cloth napkins.  I liked the color and pattern; the fabric is both substantial and already cut into perfect squares.

IMG_9346

I cut apart the old pillows that came with our couches for their stuffing and in one afternoon I feel like I turned around our bedroom with four pillows for less than the price of one.  It appears that we’re only a few coats of paint and new curtain rods away from a ‘finishing’ our bedroom.

My sister told me that in the early stages of a friendship, she and another woman went out for Mexican food.  According to Casey, when her friend ordered cheese enchiladas for lunch and finished them, she knew in that moment that they would be real friends.  I had a similar, but opposite, moment recently when I was telling a friend about making pillows from cloth napkins.  When she seemed to think it was the most ridiculous thing she ever heard, I knew we’d reached our limit of compatibility.

IMG_9345

Especially as I looked around my house and realized that the lounging pillows in the living room are made out of dish towels.  Oh, and our kitchen curtains were once dish towels as well.

3 comments:

  1. I love that moment that let's you know right at that second whether you'll be bffs or not. Someone once told me her friend-defining moment for me: she was standing behind me at a party and heard me talking and thought "whoa that lady is drunk"... then later she talked to me and realized "oh no she's not, she's just like that all the time." and she knew we'd be friends.

    Truly heartwarming.

    I love your dishtowel pillows- they look awesome. Totally tie the room together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so good!!!!!! LOVE THEM.

    ReplyDelete