Thursday, July 26, 2012

Manners

There are some subtle points for Rush and Tate to eventually master in order to become functioning men, as opposed to wild animals in clothes:  napkins in laps, dressing for church, spending time alone and being content with themselves without always needing the tv or computer for company, behaving in a library.  As libraries are both free and air conditioned, that last one is time sensitive. 

IMG_9341

It’s hard for me to come to terms with the fact that we’re the very wildest people in the library, but here we are.  I can’t leave the library without being flustered and sweating.  The first step isn’t even hoping for them to sit quietly and flip through one book at a time; I just want the raucous games of hide and seek in the stacks to stop.  They have plenty of time to run out energy outside and just need to work on calming down in certain settings.  Maybe they’re just really stimulated by all the books…?  I understand how seeing books stacked to the ceiling and knowing you can take any of them home would make a person’s adrenaline skyrocket.

IMG_9340

We have a really great library.  When we first moved here, I was disappointed by how small it was, but over time I’ve been consistently impressed with the quality of material.  The librarians really know their market, because I have never looked for a book that couldn’t be located at some branch of the Brazoria County Library System.  Typically I’m getting embarrassingly stereotyped books for my demographic – craft books, cookbooks, novels.  But even when Trent or I seek out something obscure, it’s there.   Well done librarians. 

And thanks to the library, I’m getting ready to settle in with John Irving’s newest novel.  I also have a $3 bottle of wine that I bought because, hey $3. 
It’s called Cul-de-Sac, and what do you know, that’s my street, too.  It’s actually swill, but along with the Indigo Girls, it’s is setting a nice, mellow vibe for my evening. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't go to a library without having a panic attack because my boys are nuts! They are great everywhere else, but there just seems to be something about the library. They run around, are super loud, and pull books off the shelves. It sounds like we need to go to the library together. No library would ever be the same!

    ReplyDelete