Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Fruit of the Earth

Saturdays are generally best when we get up, eat breakfast, then leave the house.  Last Saturday, we headed out to Alvin, TX to buy a Satsuma tree from a local tree place.  We also brought along a clipping from the tree in our yard that we call "the lime tree” to see if it could be identified, as it has never actually produced any limes.  Apparently it’s a grapefruit tree, which is awesome, although identifying it doesn’t change the fact that it has yet to even blossom.

IMG_0654

IMG_0655

After picking out a tree and a yellow rose bush, we went to Froberg’s Farm for vegetables, tomato and basil plants, a strawberry pie, fresh roasted peanuts, and this conversation as we’re driving through the fields on the way to the store:

Me:  Here we are guys!  We’re at the farm!

Rush and Tate:  A tractor!

Rush:  What is it doing?

Me:  It’s watering the plants.

Trent:  Nooo-

Me:  Ooh, okay, roll up the windows.

IMG_0657

It’s a great place to eat lunch: grab some fruit and peanuts, a sandwich from the smokehouse to share, and let the boys wear themselves out on the swings.

IMG_0662

IMG_0658

IMG_0673

I had a spiritual moment on Sunday, planting the Satsuma in the yard.  Trent’s shoulder is still healing from his recent surgery and he was cooking borracho beans for the Super Bowl.  I grabbed a shovel to work in the yard and Trent started hovering around me in his work-in-the-yard pants, when I kindly informed him that he was physically incapable of using a shovel and he couldn’t leave a boiling pot on the stove while the boys were napping.  For once, I got to be the dad, working outside on a beautiful day, with Trent inside cooking and minding the children.  It was so refreshing that I worked in the yard for four hours:  pruning, messing around with the compost, weeding.  By myself, digging a big hole and getting muddy, I felt like I was checking off “Plant A Tree” from a list of 100 Things To Do Before You Die.  Planting a tree on your own is an experience I do recommend. 

Just in case it sounds like I want to live in the country, I assure you, I do not.  But I did enjoy planting that tree…and eating the strawberry pie.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Liz Lemon,
    I like your hair in that photo - low bun looks fab. Carolena and I would like to go to the strawberry farm asap. I like you and I love you.

    ReplyDelete