Monday, March 31, 2014

Contrary to Popular Belief

Last week at HEB, I picked up a bag of broccoli slaw because it was on sale.  I checked the back to see if there was a recipe for a sauce to go on it and the recipe listed was for broccoli slaw enchiladas.  It sounded simple and all the other ingredients sounded good, so I decided to pick up everything else we needed and make them.   I mean, why not?  (Why not?  Because it’s broccoli enchiladas.)

There was at least a 90% chance that the highest rating we would be able to give these was that they were edible but we were never making them again.  Because it wasn’t something where you make fake enchiladas with a béchamel sauce and lasagna noodles and broccoli slaw.  These had corn tortillas and enchilada sauce…and broccoli and carrots.

They were fabulous. 

IMG_1854

They were make-them-again fresh and delicious and just the slightest hint cabbagey from the red cabbage in the slaw.  One of my life mottos is that there’s no wrong way to eat cabbage, and that is definitely true here.  It seems like it wouldn’t all work, but it does.  I’m endorsing it so much that I’m posting the recipe. 

I change something in every recipe almost every single time, but here I followed it.  (Mostly)  It’s one of those recipes that I think has to have all the pieces to work.  There can’t be any I don’t like cilantro, I don’t like black olives.  Commit to the whole recipe if you so chose.  Broccoli enchiladas.  Really.

IMG_1856

I’m posting the recipe because I endorse it.  It might be the first recipe I’ve printed here, if that means anything to you.

Broccoli Slaw Enchiladas
yields 12

12 oz HEB Broccoli Slaw (obviously it doesn’t have to be HEB, but it’s their recipe)
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 cup red onion, diced
1 cup cilantro, minced
12 corn tortillas
12 oz enchilada sauce
12 oz reduced fat shredded cheddar jack cheese (we used regular cheese –it’s enchiladas)
6 oz sliced black olives, drained

Place bag of broccoli slaw in the microwave on high for 3 minutes.  (Note:  If there is one thing I learned in the petrochemical industry, it’s don’t microwave plastic.  But did I microwave the bag?  Yes, guilty.)  Pour into a bowl.  Add garlic powder, onions, and cilantro and toss all ingredients together.  Wrap tortillas in a paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes. To assemble, dip entire warm tortilla in enchilada sauce, coat both sides.  Fill with mixture of slaw and shredded cheese.  Wrap tightly and place seam side down in a baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.  Pour remaining enchilada sauce over tortillas, top with shredded cheese and black olives.  Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.  Remove and let sit 5 minutes, then serve.  AND ENJOY!

The other new food I *invented* (of course other people have made this) last week is a sandwich that is going on the menu of my vegetarian sandwich shop as The Nursing Mother:  wheat bread, peanut butter, chocolate chips.  Every time I unscrew the peanut butter lid, I hear Personal Trainer Nick’s voice, “You should only be eating peanut butter if you are trying to gain weight.”  Do not try it, because you can’t untaste it.

1 comment:

  1. LOL - peanut butter is one of the main reasons I decided I need ww to help me. I can't stay out of that damn jar!

    ReplyDelete