Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Definition of Insanity 2.

If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, the second definition of insanity is doing something different for no apparent reason when doing something simple.  Also known as "reinventing the wheel".

In setting out to make Holly's nap mat for preschool -the fourth nap mat I've made- I knew that it would take two yards of fabric.  But two yards just looked like too much when it was on the cutting table in the fabric store.  So I purchased a yard and a half.  Surprise, I needed two yards for the mat and pillow.   

But that's fine, because I was going to make a pillowcase out of a different fabric, but did I buy fabric for the pillowcase?  Nope.  But that's fine too, because I have a supply of oddly shaped scraps perfect for quilting, but not pillowcase sized.  The most intense fuel to creativity in my world is not having the necessary supplies to complete the job. 


The alligator fabric is from a set of sheets that were obtained from a bed at my mom's house years ago thanks to her generosity and some begging and pleading on my part.  I don't know what's going to happen when the last scrap of alligators are gone.  There's almost nothing that isn't improved with the addition of alligators. 

The fabric selected, I sketched a plan.  Sketching a plan is a recent development for me.  


In this case, the placement of the straps in the plan did not create a nap mat that would roll together and stay together.  So it took an additional strap and additional snaps to make everything right.



There tend to be these little things that turn up and slow down the process.  Like using measuring tape that someone cut in half with pinking shears. 


Plus the cats always want to help.


In the end, it took about three hours to make a nap mat cover and pillowcase that could have been completed in thirty minutes or less if I had purchased the correct amount of material and webbing for the straps and either used the same process from the previous three times or followed a pattern.


But regarding the finished project, it's just perfect for Holly and could have never been produced if I had the sense to just buy the stuff I "needed".  All's well that ends well.

2 comments:

  1. Usually after I read your blog, I want to start my comment with "hahaha"--->this was quite amusing! I STILL search for more sets of those alligator sheets; if that fabric doesn't appear in every single thing you make, how will we know it's a Kelly-original? I for one, love that about you, and the nap mat is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful nap mat. This will be Ben's first year at school with no nap mat on his school supplies list. My baby!

    ReplyDelete