Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Memorial Day and Beyond

Way back two weekends ago, Trent, Rush, and I headed down to the beach. It was an action packed weekend involving almost my entire family, plus an aunt, an uncle, cousins, and their friends. The water was great, the weather was hot but not unbearable, and the summer officially began.


My mom, Rush, and I spent the entire week at the beach, watching the ebb and flow of people. Memorial Day weekend was crowded and people gradually started to drift home Monday, then Tuesday, until Wednesday the beach consisted of my mom, sister, Rush and me, and the construction workers still rebuilding post-hurricane. Then Thursday night a few early weekenders start coming back and Friday the weekend starts all over again.

Being at the beach for a week with a one year old is a feline existence consisting of eating, napping, and playing. It was the longest amount of time I had ever stayed at the beach, and I gradually became more Bolivar-like, giving up on make-up by Monday night and taking showers at odd hours of the day. My dad commuted down to the beach after work, so we were able to celebrate his birthday. Rush helped him blow out the candles and then hand fed him a piece of cake.

We went to the Texas Crab Festival on Saturday, where Trent, Rush, and I gorged ourselves on frito pie, funnel cake, a pistolette, a steak taco, a snow cone, and ribbon fries. You would have thought we had never eaten carnival food before. There were live bands all day and it was so nice to be outside listening to the music with Rush dancing.

We're home now, trying to catch up after a week away. I'll be doing laundry if you need me.

No comments:

Post a Comment