Monday, June 14, 2010

Sleeping Like It's 1953

These are Rush's new pajama pants. The statement they are making is "My mom sewed these. And it's 1953." I made them today, but they have kind of a 50's look to them. All Rush needs to be a little Jimmy Clyde is a holster and toy guy. Making pajama pants turned out to be ridiculously easy and fast. They do look a tad homemade, but really, they're pajamas. And it's hot here, so it will be nice for him to have something a little lighter to wear to sleep.

The only place to get fabric in Pearland is Hobby Lobby and they haven't updated their supply since we've lived here. Basically I'm really limited on selection unless I plan in advance, which happens occasionally but not this time. Luckily they carry my very favorite fabric ever, shown here, which has all 50 states on it. It's definitely not the first time I've used it.

There were, however, some firsts for me today: first time to make clothes for Rush, first time to make any clothes successfully (I think), first time to iron pajamas. Every time I press a seam while sewing I think of my mom looking at the doll I made Rush for Christmas and saying "Did you press this?" Uh, thanks for sounding so surprised Mom, although I can't blame her. I remember my first and only sewing lesson growing up when I was going to make a dress for myself. I quit very early on because "UGH, I DON'T WANT TO IRON I WANT TO SEW." Poor Mom. I'm not sure how I ever learned to sew...I do remember when Casey and I got our sewing machines for Christmas in college, my mom showed us how to thread the needles and gave us some basic tips, but I think the memories of my one sewing lesson in 6th grade held her back from getting too involved.


Anyway, after trying to catch a glimpse of Trent mowing the lawn, Rush headed off to bed. He's now slumbering away, hopefully enjoying his new pajamas. Depending on what kind of fabric I can find laying around, he might end up with a few new pairs soon.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment