Saturday, February 5, 2011

Oscar Buzz

It’s that time of year: the Academy Awards are approaching. Trent and I are in the midst of our annual push to watch as many Oscar nominated films as possible before the awards show. We’re pretty far behind; we’ve only seen three of the ten Best Picture nominees so far and it’s not looking good for us making it to the theater anytime soon. I’m not a huge of fan of the switch from five to ten nominees, but I do enjoy the added aspect of selecting the five movies I think deserve the nomination and the five that do not. If I can finagle a way to a theater outside of Pearland, I would like to squeeze in a viewing of The King’s Speech, which appears to be the front runner. It’s always nice to be able to make educated guesses on Oscar night.

The reality is that we’ll probably catch up on a lot of the films after the fact. While this guy-

IMG_4920

slept through Inception in my arms last night, this guy-

IMG_4862

isn’t likely to sit through a movie anytime soon. We're great for movies after bedtime, but I don't think we'll see the inside of a theater for awhile.

One of my favorite memories from our Oscar nominee watching push is from a few years ago when we rented Walk the Line and North Country and watched them back to back. By the end of the night I hated all men and was in a complete meltdown funk. It’s not a great Friday night movie combination.

Of course it’s 31 Days of Oscar on TCM again, which is another annual February perk. Of course every year we ambitiously record all kinds of classics, then just end up watching Tootsie and Annie Hall again. One selection for each of us, can you match the person to the movie they select every year? Hint: Annie Hall is my pick.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm.. I think it's time once again for me to be a terrible influence on you. With your permission, I will indoctrinate you into the wonderful world of free media content. I'm sending you a link.

    ReplyDelete