Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ode to an Art Form: The Magazine

With two sweet sleeping boys upstairs, I sat down at the kitchen table with a glass of wine, the April 2010 edition of Martha Stewart Living, paper and scissors, a hot glue gun, and the branch I’ve been saving in the garage for over a year.  Less than an hour later:

IMG_5566

Thank you again Martha for a great project idea.  I really love magazines.  Trent and I counted tonight and I think we (mainly me) currently have twelve magazine subscriptions:  Martha Stewart Living, Better Homes and Gardens, Everyday Food, Glamour, Marie Claire, O Magazine, GQ, Guideposts, Time, Coastal Living, Budget Travel, and Family Handyman.  That last one is Trent’s, but I read it every month anyway because you never know when you’ll need to know how to build a pergola or install a socket.  I read every magazine we get, pretty much cover to cover.  Well, let’s be honest, I’m not reading every article in every Time.  It’s weekly.  Plus I’m mainly in it for Joel Stein.

IMG_5564

But pretty much I’m reading all of all of them and then waiting to find new issues in the mailbox.  I love that a magazine appeals to so many senses - sight, touch (so silky!), smell (shiny paper plus perfume samples is one of the best smells ever), and if you’re making a recipe from one, taste.  It still feels like such a luxury to have them around; I remember the first time my mom let me get a Seventeen when we were on vacation and I literally read every single word over and over.  Even though we have enough coming in to fill a basket every month (which combined with the Houston Chronicle might explain why there are constantly so many stacks of paper around our house), I still keep some of the old issues if I think I might want to look at it later.  It may sound crazy, but that’s how we ended up with our new spring paper floral arrangement. 

Costal Living and GQ came today, so as soon as I finish here and pack Rush’s lunch, that’s where I’m headed.  But because I need to keep the grandparents happy, especially because some of those subscriptions are gifts from them, let’s talk about the grandkids.

We had a great family trip to the zoo last weekend.  It was fun to see Rush so excited about the animals.  If you ask him about the zoo now, his response every time is 1.  Poop (for some reason I pointed out the elephant poop to him)  2.  Giraffe (he loves giraffes)  3.  Night Night, followed by him acting like a monkey (the chimps looked at him through the glass, then lay down right next to the glass).  Please note that in the picture below we’re at the zoo and the elephants are behind Rush.  

IMG_5534

It’s bike riding season!

IMG_5519

Tate is getting cuter by the day.  He started off incredibly cute, so he’s building on that.  He’s smiling, cooing, and a joy to be around. 

IMG_5554-1

To all a good night-

No comments:

Post a Comment