Monday, October 3, 2011

Putting the East in East Texas

We just returned home from a visit to East Texas to see my brother.  My dad was also visiting, so add in my brother’s housemate and we had a-

IMG_6755

guy’s weekend!  Oh, and I was there too.

IMG_6706

I love going to Tyler.  Not only do I get to spend time with my little bro, but the Mexican food restaurants all have free soft serve ice cream, the hamburger restaurants all serve all-you-can-eat beans while you wait for your order, and the Caldwell Zoo is a very, very awesome zoo.

IMG_6719

IMG_6726

IMG_6727

The wild bird encounter remains one of the best zoo exhibits ever. 

IMG_6735

IMG_6740

There are some benefits to being a part of a guy’s weekend.  In between a morning spent at the zoo and a night at the East Texas State Fair we went back to Hunter’s house for naptime.  Everyone napped to the calming (?) sounds of a football game on tv and I got to lay on the couch and drink a Miller Light and read Men’s Health.  All in all, not a bad afternoon.

IMG_6758

The boys had their first fair experience:  the bright lights of the midway, funnel cake, lemonade, pig races, rides, and very friendly firefighters.

IMG_6764

IMG_6768

Rush had his first ride experience (not counting most of Disney World in utero.)  He loved it, more more more.  My dad was really helpful with both boys all weekend and totally took care of Rush during his racecar experience.

IMG_6778

IMG_6782

IMG_6807

It was an action packed weekend and both boys were, at times, beyond exhausted.  It warmed my heart on Friday night when I heard them laughing and laughing from their pack and plays when they were supposed to be going to sleep.  Brothers, as they should be, goofing off at bedtime, the sweetest sounds of laughter.  I went to peek in the room and saw that Rush had in fact climbed into Tate’s pack and play.

IMG_6702

It all seemed a little less sweet when Rush woke up in the middle of the night and yelled “It’s really dark, Tate!” and then Tate woke up and they both started crying and never went back to sleep.

IMG_6699

IMG_6814

They’ll catch up on their sleep this week, maybe with long naps tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment