Monday, September 26, 2011

Be a Rebel

It’s one of my favorite weeks of the year:  Banned Books Week.  I do not take for granted the fact that I can read whatever I want without having to hide it.  The list of the most frequently banned/challenged books is always so absurd, banning a beautiful, emotional, hope-filled story because of the word “damn” or something similarly ridiculous. 

When I was in middle school I went to check out a book (Fade by Robert Cormier) from the school library and the librarian (yes, really, the librarian) took it away and said she meant to pull it from the shelf because it wasn’t appropriate.  Thanks for guaranteeing that I would read the book, crazy librarian.  I went to the public library and checked out a copy.  It was scandalous.  I still love to read scandalous books.

So pick up a banned book this week and enjoy it.  Here’s a list of the books that were banned or challenged in the last yearCelebrate your freedom to read!

1 comment:

  1. carolena and i will be reading the lorax this week

    ReplyDelete