Thursday, September 15, 2011

Unraveled

It’s September, so naturally I wanted to start knitting again.  When I found the knitting needles I wanted to use, they were occupied.

IMG_6644

Sorry Tate, that hat is never going to fit you.  I finished it anyway, for some future baby, and of course it looks terrible (not pictured).  Knitting is not my thing, but after a long, hot summer it always seems like such a good idea:  sitting outside knitting something beautiful, wearing a light fall sweater while Trent serves his homemade butternut squash soup in pottery mugs. 

The reality is that I can’t seem to follow directions on a pattern or recipe without adding to it, which works for many things, but not knitting.  Here’s 3/4 of a perfectly nice white hat, but I think it would be cute to knit it to a point and then tie that part in a knot.  I mess up the last bit of at least 60% of the hats that I make.  That doesn’t stop me though, because every few projects something turns out okay.  Not perfect or great, but fine enough to keep and probably not give as a gift. 

Also it’s still hot here and Trent’s #1 grouchy trigger is being too hot, so no wearing sweaters or drinking soup on the porch.  But I do like to knit as something to do when I evacuate for a hurricane, so knitting as a fall seasonal craft remains.

1 comment:

  1. i too have picked up knitting again - a prayer shawl in a very "fall" color scheme. unfortunately, i'll be unraveling it today because i just started doing cable knit as though i remembered how... and obviously i dont. so - unravel, utube how to cable knit, start over. that is my plan. and hopefully a pumpkin spice latte will precede said plan.

    ReplyDelete