Friday, December 9, 2011

The Transitory Nature of Material Life*

Last year we successfully made at least one handmade Christmas gift for all our family members; this year I was hijacked by two twin sized (hopefully) quilts for Rush and Tate.  But –miracle!- as of last night, they are finished.  The last stitch of a quilt amazes me every time.  I spend hours and hours and hours and hours working on it, then I sew the final stitch and all of a sudden I’m curled up under a quilt instead of working on a project. 

The whole process seemed, at times, a tad futile.  The first time somebody throws up on his quilt, I need to channel the Tibetan monks and their sand mandalas and remember life’s impermanence.  But making the quilts is about more than making nice bedspreads that will probably get coke spilled on them.  It’s giving them my love in something that they can wrap around their heads and using my hands for something other than pressing touch-screen buttons on my phone and continuing a beautiful art form in the midst of a society that’s probably going to forget how to write in cursive.

I’ll post some pictures after Christmas.  Let’s save some surprises.

So if I can finish one last gift for Tate, I will maybe have time to squeeze in a little handmade something for someone.  There are still a few available weeks.  If nothing else, I did finish my handmade gifts for the names picked in the family drawings.  Rush finished his too and already gave it to his cousin Remi:

IMG_7361

It’s a wreath made of ribbons and tulle.  She seemed to love it and wasn’t sure if she was going to hang it on her door or find a round mirror and use it as a frame.  Rush is learning to cut with scissors, so he really enjoyed making it.

We’re planning to get our Christmas tree tomorrow and pulling out boxes of ornaments yesterday was getting me into an ornament making mood.  Maybe my Saturday night will include a felt, embroidery floss, sequins, and White Christmas.  Hot Dr. Pepper anyone?

 

*I borrowed that phrase from Wikipedia.  Do I need to credit that?  If so, done.

1 comment:

  1. Rush's wreath turned out really well! I can't believe he is already old enough to cut with scissors. We've already been indulging in hot dp this year. How did I find the one man who also grew up in a family who drank hot dr. pepper in the winter?! okay... enough commenting... got to finish my handmade gift for carolena... :)

    ReplyDelete