Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Ioway

With all the talk about the Iowa caucuses in the news, who else has a constant stream of music from The Music Man and State Fair running through your head?

And speaking of the good old American Midwest, we had our good old fashioned handmade gift exchange again this year.

I made pillows for my 11-year-old niece and my 29-year-old sister and I think it worked for both of them.  I used a free pattern for the letters and in an added bonus, received the pattern for the entire alphabet for Christmas! 

IMG_7377

Rush took that photo – very artsy.

IMG_7417

For my family, Trent drew our brother-in-law’s name.  He’s an avid griller and smoker of meat, so Trent made him some custom seasoning blends.

IMG_7611

IMG_7610

Trent also drew his mom’s name and as she taught him to sew for his Odyssey of the Mind competitions in high school it was only fitting that he sewed a tote bag for her.  He’s multi-talented.  (Our camera was evidently set on fuzzy mode Christmas morning.)

IMG_7705

Tate, like any self-respecting baby, showcased his handprint for his gift to Aunt Kim.  We made little handprint palm trees on a flowerpot including thumbprint coconuts.

IMG_7710

And if you didn’t have any songs about Iowa stuck in your head before, I hope you will now.  It will make political news coverage much more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment