Sunday, January 22, 2012

You, Specifically

Trent told me about a conversation he had a few months ago with a grandfather.  The man was writing down things about his grandchildren that were simply them.  The things that they like, the people that they are, before they get older and inevitably start absorbing things from other people and the world in general.  I’m assuming he’s going to give them the notes one day, probably around the time when an identity crisis hits.

IMG_7972

That’s one of the things I love about being around Rush and Tate, seeing who they are.  But in the midst of brushing teeth and 3 meals and snacks and sweeping the kitchen floor again and changing sheets, it’s easy to get caught up in the responsibilities of raising children.  What is the quintessential Rush, the quintessential Tate?

IMG_7974

Of course, it’s 9:49 on a Sunday night so my brain isn’t quite up to analyzing all the qualities of my children.  I can get as far as Rush being gentle and Tate being energetic and then my mind starts wandering and I’m wondering why I just ate a bowl of pickles (Why?  Probably a bad idea.) and talking with Trent about how the Green Bay Packers got their name.  The good news is that every day I can learn more about these little guys and who they are, and even as they start getting more and more outside influences, it’s still going to be interesting to see the things that they like and the people they become.

IMG_7975

One of my all time favorite books is Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Patterson.  I read it for the first time in 4th grade and read it multiple times that year.  The first time I reread it as an adult, I was so happy to not only still love it, but to recognize why 4th grade Kelly loved it so much.  It’s good to have a reminder of who I am.

IMG_7978

While visiting my parents over Christmas I found a bag marked “KANGAROOS.”  I was really devoted to my kangaroo collection in elementary school.  I can’t figure out if having a collections was a big thing in elementary school or just something I thought was cool.  I know people had sticker collections and there was one girl who had hundreds of key chains linked together that she kept under her bed.  My own sister won a blue ribbon at the South Texas State Fair for her Coca-Cola Collection.  Yeah.  And we’re more let’s-eat-fried-boudin-balls fair people than entering-things fair people.  We certainly didn’t show any livestock.

IMG_7981

So as I’m showing Trent all these stuffed kangaroos (oh yeah, he was impressed) and laughing about what a funny kid I was, I notice that Tate is holding a stuffed kangaroo that I bought for him the day after I found out I was pregnant with him.  Then I notice the kangaroo Pez dispenser that I bought myself as a Christmas Eve treat sticking out of my purse.  Hmmm.  I’m apparently still the same person.  The good news is that people change too, so we’re not surrounded with curio cabinets filled with ceramic kangaroos.

Yet.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you were surrounded with curio cabinets filled with ceramic kangaroos. Sigh. A sister can dream can't she? So you collected kangaroos (awesome), I collected Coke (predictable), Hunter collected Red Dog (??). Okay, reason for my commenting: additional entertainment for your blog... get ready... Our beloved Canon, the Rev. John W. Newton, IV - yes, THE NEWT... had a pen collection in elementary/middle school. Yes, you read that correctly: pens. Not even fancy ones. Just like... bic. He wins.

    ReplyDelete