Monday, February 20, 2012

Biased

I self bind all my big quilts and typically purchase bias tape for smaller projects, but in the interest of learning something new, and because sometimes it’s just easier to make something than to go to the store, I recently made bias tape.  Here’s a mistake that I’ve made way too many times:  if something about a pattern seems incorrect, I read it a few times before deciding that it’s probably an editing error and move forward with my own plan.  Every single time so far, the book was right and I was wrong.  So the directions for binding a mini-quilt say to use a 1/2 yd (42 cm) square of fabric and I read that as 1/2 yd/42 in.  Then I measure half a yard and it’s not nearly 42 inches, so clearly there is something wrong with the book and I just decide to use a 42 inch square. 

IMG_8274

So I have a lot of bias tape.  About halfway through as the fabric was pooling all around the ironing board I stopped.  Now making a normal amount seems so simple.  Measure twice, cut once isn’t as effective if you’re glazing over the instructions.

I also finished baby quilt, the second completed project in preparation for a fall craft fair.

IMG_8275

My favorite part is the back.

IMG_8277

I like that back so much that I hope I don’t get bogged down and just make a big stack of quilts that look like the back of that one.  Our booth may end up looking like Ernest P. Worrell’s closet.

1 comment: