Thursday, February 16, 2012

Please Welcome to the Stage, PANTHER

Well, I guess I’m ending my unofficial break from the computer.  Blame it all on the Facebook Timeline.  I tried to be proactively involved instead of issuing my usual eye roll at an unnecessary update, so I clicked the button to “Try Facebook Timeline!”  As soon as I saw that I was graciously offered up to a week to tweak the reorganization of all the information already on my Facebook profile, I realized not only did I not want to spend a week doing that, I didn’t want to spend any time on the computer, or see any of these people again for the rest of my life.  I didn’t actively decide not to use the computer, I just almost couldn’t make myself do it.  I forced myself to check my e-mail every few days, but that was kind of a chore.  I had other things to do, like help this guy adjust to our family-

IMG_8214

Welcome Panther, the newest member of our happy home.  He’s about 4 months old and so very scrawny, not accurately displayed in that photo.  So far he’s also the chillest cat ever.  Have you ever seen a cartoon child hold a kitten and squeeze him and hold him and love him forever?  That’s Rush and Panther doesn’t seem to mind.  He even puts up with a fair amount of affection from Tate. 

IMG_8216

After 3 weeks (I think?) in the Williams family, Panther is adjusting quite well.  As far as I know, he’s used a litter box pretty well today, so fingers crossed we’re making progress.  Jetty’s gradually warming up to him as well.  I need to cherish these kitten moments because soon he’ll be a cat, happy to ignore me for the 23 hours of the day that he’s sleeping in front of a window.

Someone please remind me of this when my kids are bigger and I decide we should get a dog:  I like that cats ignore me and that they are so low maintenance.  We’re here together, doing our own thing; we snuggle when it’s really cold and I can dump out a giant bag of cat food when I go on vacation.  I’m pretty sure a dog is the maintenance and affection and guilt of a kitten times ten, at least.  A playful new kitten who has to learn to stay off the kitchen table and can’t often remember where to find his litter box is at the upper end of high maintenance for me.  When I decide to get a dog, someone remind me!

For now, I’m a content cat person.  I’m getting my allotted 30 minutes of affection from Jetty right now as I try to keep her off the keyboard.  All is right with my world.

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say I appreciate the Bottle Rocket reference -- that's my favorite line from a movie full of great one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Panther looks very feisty. And yes. I find dog ownership to be an unending bottomless well of guilt. Ramona years ago perfected the "I am so disappointed in your pathetic efforts" stare down. She also flinches in front of guests, as if she's been abused WHICH SHE HAS NOT. 98% sure she's just trying to embarrass us. Well done, troll dog. Well done.

    ReplyDelete