Thursday, June 28, 2012

Peer Pressure

At a dinner party the other night, in between dinner and dessert, my friend Catherine provided entertainment:

joan harris

Yes, that’s an accordion.  And after dessert her husband pulled out his banjo to discuss banjos with Kellaura who also plays the banjo and we ended up with a cocktail and dulce de leche ice cream sandwich fueled Rainbow Connection sing-a-long.

So here’s the point, a point other than that I just wanted to brag that I have a friend who can bust out the accordion Joan Harris style during a dinner party:  I have inspiring friends.  By some miraculous string of events, I’m friends with people who, just by being themselves, encourage creativity and make me want to read more books and fix the strings on my ukulele and start practicing.  And get back to the piano.  And teach myself to bind books.  And learn Spanish.  (That’s really more inspired by some of my best local friends, the garbage men.)  And swim a mile in 30 minutes.  (I made up that goal on the spot– I wonder how feasible that is?)

My sister, who is inspiring in not only in her hilariousness but also in her ability to be a tidy and organized individual, did speak some truth into my life the other day.  Her quote, after visiting for a week:

“I always wondered where you found so much time to read.  I see now it’s because you don’t put away laundry.”

Ouch, so true.  It’s a balance that I’m working on, creativity vs. clutter/cleanliness.  I’m using the term “working on” lightly because wasting time makes its way into that balance all too often.  So it’s back to my friends- if you have time to practice the accordion and take care of two beautiful children, surely you’re not wasting very much time.  I’m inspired again.

Baby steps to no more time wasting- starting with putting away laundry right now-

3 comments:

  1. haha! I know, I have a friend who gardens and cooks everything from scratch, does fabulous crafts with her kids, etc etc and I was feeling a little inferior and then I discovered that she doesn't read-EVER, like she makes herself pick up the Bible for a chapter once a week and I thought well if I stopped reading I could tons of those things too but I'd rather read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahahaa. i do both. i read but also put away laundry. its a reward - carolena naps for 2 hours so i put her in her crib, take a few minutes to put stuff away, and then crash on the couch with a book. also, let's both swim a mile in 30 minutes. it is so doable. back when i was pre-baby and swimming with regularity i did a 34 minute mile. let's both swim a 30 minute one by christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so jealous! We miss you all and the dinner parties so much! Maybe we can Skype into your next dinner party with the Beebes. ;) Ha!

    ReplyDelete