Friday, September 12, 2014

Haiku Friday

The new rector at our church does Haiku Friday on his blog, Tumbleweed Almanac, and encourages people to post their own haiku on a particular topic.  The theme this week is Animals We’ve Known.  I posted one about Bolivar-

salty Bolivar
you drank bottles at midnight
and slept on my head

100_1772

And then kept writing poems for a lot of the other cats I’ve known and loved over the years.  I don’t want to lose posting privileges on Tumbleweed Almanac by posting a twenty cat poems, so-

100_2557

oh regal Jetty
your disdainful looks are so
fabulously cat

IMG_2579

Panther burnt his nose
on the Advent wreath, yet still
jumps on the table

IMG_1363

as cats tend to do
gravel voice Ollivander
showed up at our door

 

we thought Ethel was
pregnant, kittens never came
just fat and fluffy

 

Thomas, when you died
we didn’t recognize you
so plump and healthy

 

Pepsi, who endured
two little girls with one small
stroller and doll hat

 

Little Gray, Trixie:
your descendants must still be
finding their own homes

 

Bjorn, Anna Gretta
authentic Norwegian cats
born in the backyard

 

we named you Thursday
-you wild, black adventurer-
and you got the joke

 

Motley and Friday
when I die, please come greet me
at heaven’s bright gates

 

and I need to live
in a way that gets me to
cat lady heaven

1 comment: