Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Stegosaurus Style

A few months ago, my book club read the book Mrs. Mike about a woman –girl, she was like sixteen- who marries a Canadian Mounty and moves to the wilderness with him.  The book is just horror after horror; I would decide to stop reading, then give it another few pages, then decide to stop reading, give it a few more pages.  In the end, great book. 

There’s a part where the main character has gone to visit her family in Boston and people are completely freaking out over burnt toast.  In her mind she’s comparing it to the the things she’s seen and lived through in Canada and is appalled by the reactions.  As her husband later sums it up:  “When little things are so important, it’s because there aren’t any big ones.”

Embarrassingly, I’ve been the burnt toast people for the past week.  Three beautiful children, loving husband, safe home with clean water and food to eat, all my dreams come true, but alas!   Sometimes the kids are cranky!  And the great elementary school that Rush is loving sometimes expects me to fill out paperwork- woe is me!  And while at the beach last weekend I stayed in the cabin with my wonderful 8 month old daughter so I didn’t even get to see the actual beach!  The outrage!  I’ll burst into tears over it!  And how dare the cabin be so crowded with people who love me?  I’ll go home early in a rage!

2014-08-05 17.09.49

I’m over it.  Thankfully.  I really am so grateful for everything.  No more complaining.

Tate is a wealth of worldly advice and recently gave me a new life’s motto:

“Nothing can stop me because I have my tennis shoes and my spiky hair!”

He was specifically talking about nothing stopping him from being friends with another little boy from our church.  I’m taking that quote as is, no adult interpretation or analysis required.  If I can run fast and look like a dinosaur, nothing can stop me either.

2 comments:

  1. I love this - all of it. I will be your burnt toast friend any time, and will wipe up the crumbs with the wrong colored shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, love this, love this. Love you.

    ReplyDelete