Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Dressy

Pretty much since Holly was born I have been thinking about making a Christmas dress for her, a red and white smocked dress with holly embroidered around the neckline.  I thought about it all year, but unfortunately never learned how to smock and my mom, who is going to teach me, recently informed me that it’s too late for this year.  A quick online search did not result in the exact dress I’m picturing in my mind, so that idea is on reserve until next year.

Option 2 is to make whatever Gretel from the Sound of Music would wear for Christmas.  If it were up to me (and it is, so why isn’t this happening?) Holly would dress in exactly like the Von Trapp children every day.  It’s mid-November and I have yet to even look for the [most surely] complicated pattern, so that’s out.

Option 3 is fancy deluxe party dress, with red taffeta, silky ribbon and layers of tulle hidden in the lining for for added skirt puffiness.  Option 3 is happening.

2014-11-18 10.01.37

Holly and I went fabric shopping this morning.  I spent all day pondering why it’s so important to me to make Holly a Christmas dress, when I could buy one pretty much anywhere.  But there are only so many opportunities to sew fancy dresses for Holly!  It was fun to walk down the aisle of Special Occasion fabric, not to mention the trim aisle, though as it turns out, gold sequins will make the garment unwashable.  Holly spend all her time in the fabric store covering herself in Ritz cracker crumbs, so a dress that can’t be washed is out for this year.

2014-11-18 10.06.39

Time to get started! 

(It is- but not tonight.  Tomorrow.  Or soon.  The pressure is on.)

No comments:

Post a Comment