Monday, December 15, 2014

Make Aheads

It’s a rule that as soon as I make a statement, I have to prove it or recant.  So recently I said I wasn’t working to start traditions and I was going to ignore Martha Stewart.  Now let’s discuss how every Christmas I make Lucinda Scala Quinn’s stuffed shells recipe from Martha Stewart Living.

2014-12-07 19.25.08

The recipe was in the magazine a few years ago as a holiday dish that could be made ahead and frozen, so into the freezer they went.  They’re delicious.   They saved Christmas lunch when the meal I was going to make bombed- bombed like it was a new recipe and would have fed two people, not 10.  After that, I’ve made the shells in early December and we eat them at some point during the holidays.

2014-12-07 19.35.36

The best part is that the recipe calls for placing a little piece of butter on top of every shell right before you put them into the oven.  Because they only way to make pasta filled with cheese more delicious is to add a touch of butter.  

2014-12-07 19.39.55

Stuffed shells are an insurance policy.  It’s not so much a guarantee that I’ll have free time to lay by the fireplace with a new book and a bag of Cheetos as a guarantee that even with three small children, we’ll have a nice meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment