Friday, May 22, 2015

Sink or Swim Situation

My parents have planned some renovations on their home.  Builders will get them started, then they’re going to do about half the work themselves.  They have each separately expressed to me that they think their part is going to take a long time, that starting in June they will probably be finished by November.  Because they never call me (although once every two or three years I will get a text about a pet dying or a family member in the hospital- but only the hospital text a few days after the event) and yet I’ve talked to both of them on the phone about it, I suspect that they’re a little apprehensive about the amount of time it will take.

2015-05-18 16.45.28

But wait, isn’t it two adults working on it, with full days devoted to the project?  No stopping what you’re doing because Holly dumped a cup of milk on the couch?  (2 hours ago)  No one climbing somewhere they shouldn’t be and needing to be rescued with great haste but without any startling movements?  (1 hour ago)  No one getting his head stuck between wooden fence posts?  (Also 1 hour ago, same moment as the climber)  No one unraveling your work behind you?  (Constantly)

I recently painted a room, including the ceiling, with Tate.  If only there had been someone recording it; it was a frantic, comical, Mr. Bean type situation, with paint spilling on carpet, jumping over a bed covered in a paint-splattered drop cloth to get to the falling paint, falling and pulling the drop cloth off and more paint spilling.  But we painted that room, and then Rush joined us to paint the landing and part of the wall by our stairs.  And we painted all of it, carpet be damned.

2015-05-18 16.45.36

This is the most productive I have ever been in my life.  No other option- sink or swim.

1 comment:

  1. Well I must say my 'apprehension' involves the fact that we have not proved to be handy people, in fact, we don't have any of the needed tools and won't know what the hell we're doing and will fly by the seat of our pants. I believe that may also be an apt description of parenthood...of course we'll have no little ones around to 'help'...

    ReplyDelete