Friday, July 31, 2015

Coping Mechanisms

One time I asked Trent what coping mechanisms he used to drag himself up when he was feeling down.  He responded with a blank stare and the answer "none."

If doing nothing doesn't help, there's always the Don Draper approach- "First I abuse the people whose help I need, and then I take a nap."

I prefer to choose one or more options from my personal list until something works.  My list of coping mechanisms goes on and on:  drink water, drink a diet coke, put on lipstick, change clothes, escapist reading, play the piano, make something with my hands, get out of the house, go to the gym (that's rare), eat a large amount of something, pray, pray with guidance from the Book of Common Prayer, sing loudly, put on music, make lists, snuggle with the cats, start texting people, wine, move furniture, go outside and stare at the sky.  The list goes on and on.

Also included:  try a new recipe.  It's anything to get moving and not sit and dwell.


Blueberry crumb cake was an overall winner on so many levels.  First there is the general mood boost of reading Smitten Kitchen.  Then there's the confidence boost of a simple recipe that turns into an insanely delicious homemade cake.  We all got to eat cake for dessert.  And we all got to eat cake for breakfast.

5 comments:

  1. On first read I wanted to do something to make your spirit feel a little lighter...now I only want to eat that cake. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of the same coping mechanisms -- making something, going to the gym, going outside. For me though escapist reading definitely falls into the 'unhealthy self medicating' side of coping. #1 on my list, and the hardest to get sometimes with three kids, is time alone. Partly because it feels so selfish. But I am encouraging you to go feel selfish somewhere by yourself this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should add showing up on college roommate's doorstep for a surprise visit to you list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to add "eat candy" to your list but that might just be "daily diet" and not "coping mechanism." Working out is definitely on my list. As is "make a new plan and do at least one thing to set it in motion." "Call Kelly and have a total crying melt-down" is on my list. And then "call Mom and do it again." - those two are interchangeable in order.

    ReplyDelete