Friday, May 13, 2011

Always Free Day

When I was in fourth grade, my teacher, Mrs. Williams, had a system in her classroom called tokens.  Tokens were little red laminated circles (or apples, who can remember?) that she passed out during the week for good grades, improved grades, being nice to people, helping with things – there were all different ways to get tokens.  Then on Friday afternoon after lunch she would put on a movie –I think it was always The NeverEnding Story- and set out the tokens store.  We could use our tokens to buy things every fourth grader wants:  fancy pencils, those little monster finger puppets, koosh balls, or if you really saved up, books. 

Tokens and movies were all we did on Friday afternoons, all year long.  At some point during the year my friend Carly started saying “Friday free day always free day” every Friday.  At least in my memory that’s what she said and somehow a few years ago I started saying it every Friday too.  For the past few years I stumble out of bed on Friday mornings and on the way to the shower look at Trent and say “Friday free day always free day.”

IMG_5874

I’ve implemented Friday free day at our house these days.  After naps on Friday, we all go to the backyard and we’re staying there until Trent gets home.  It doesn’t matter how long it lasts, or if Rush going to the back door and says “All done!”, I’m not making dinner and we’re playing in the yard.

IMG_5875

I have moments when I forget what it’s like to have two children, even as I’m holding one and getting a drink for the other.  So I usually like to bring a book outside with me so it can sit on the cooler and not get read.  That’s the plan for today.

Friday free day always free day!

1 comment:

  1. hahaha. I ALWAYS think about tokens! Except for we didn't actually GET tokens - they were just stickers on assignments if you got a 99 or 100 and Mrs. Williams (funny...) would keep track of them in her teacher grade book. And we only had the token store every other Friday - and every Friday that wasn't token day we went to the mini mart! Sugar Daddy and a Dr. Pepper please...

    ReplyDelete