Sunday, May 15, 2011

Book Sale!

I’m coming off a book sale adrenaline high.  Our fifth book sale weekend was every bit as wonderful as the first time. 

IMG_5895

I was fairly restrained on Saturday, picking up only two novels and a copy of O Ye Jigs and Juleps for myself, and then stocking up on an excellent selection of kids books.  I really focused on children’s books on Saturday because –although I get that it makes me a cliché to say it- I have most of The Cat in the Hat memorized.  We read a lot of kids books here and I’m ready for some new material.  I wasn’t waiting for bag day either, because those teachers with their carts are ruthless in snatching up the children’s books.

IMG_5898

But today was bag day, time to go crazy.  As always, it’s $10 for a brown paper bag filled with as many books as you can cram in.  It’s worth noting that Kellaura’s bag was packed so tightly that it could be flipped upside down –Blizzard style- and nothing would fall out.  It set a new standard.  Kellaura, Amber, Amber’s mom, and I all ended up doing our final sorting and packing together this year, which was nice, and then met up with the rest of our families for the big reveal.  I really love that as exciting as the book sale is, and as much as I love having all these books around our house, my very favorite part is watching my friends talk about the books in their bags, one by one.  I think some of my picks were a little ambitious –the biography of Marie Curie, postpartum Pilates that you do with your baby- leaning more towards the person I want to be as opposed to the person I am.  But that’s what great about books:  if I actually read the biography of Marie Curie, I then become a person who has read the biography of Marie Curie.

IMG_5922

I’m not even sure what my top finds were this year; my books are piled in front of me, waiting for me to dig through them.

IMG_5906

And to make the weekend extra special, Amber made us all tote bags with personalized library cards on them. 

IMG_5881

Not only did we all use our bags for the sale, I can guarantee that I will be using this bag all the time.  It’s already dirty from being pushed along the floor of the convention center when it got too heavy to carry.  I was so touched by the quote that Amber chose for my bag, because it is so perfect and it is so nice that she knows me well enough to know how perfect it is. 

IMG_5879

My favorite weekend of the year is drawing to a close.  Thankfully we’ll reap the rewards all year long.  I’m off to pick a new book to start reading!

2 comments:

  1. I love the pic of the books taller than Tate! Maybe next year I will be able to carpool with Kellaura and join you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! And your present for the shower turned out completely awesome. Such an incredibly beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete