Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Copycat

On any given day practicality overrules certain aspects of life, like waking up and putting on shorts instead of a dress.  But one thing that I can’t be practical about is furniture.  We may be sleeping, sitting, relaxing, eating on it, but form trumps function every time.  Our couch does happen to be comfy, but that’s just a bonus.  When we were looking for a canvas khaki couch and visiting a million stores weekend after weekend, that’s what we got.  Looking for simply a comfortable couch would have been a lot easier. 

By no stretch of the imagination is our house full of crisp clean lines and straight backed chairs.  It generally worked out that the things we picked out by looks alone have been easy on the bones.  Excluding the rocking chair…

IMG_3469

I previously assumed that if you can buy a white crib, white bookshelf, and a white dresser, a white rocking chair would also be easy to find.  But that really didn’t work out for us.  A glider or one of those armchairs with hidden rockers would be great for holding babies and singing.   But as many places as we looked, we couldn’t find one to match the nursery.

If I had selected a rocking chair on comfort alone, there would be a Lazy-Boy recliner right next to the bookshelf.  But because I really couldn’t figure out how that would work with the white wooden furniture motif, we bought an outdoor rocker from a hardware store.  It’s the most uncomfortable chair I’ve ever sat in, but I’ve been rocking children in it for almost two and a half years.  Making cushions seemed daunting, so I just toughed it out – literally.

Then last week I talked to my darling nine months pregnant sister who told me she made cushions for her rocking chair using two pillow shams, two bed pillows, some grommets, and ribbon.  It was the most genius idea and I copied her 100%.  I didn’t copy her a little; I copied her as closely as I’ve ever copied anything.  We had really similar bedspreads for awhile, so the pillow shams I found in our closet are almost the same pillow shams she used, just a different color.

IMG_6328

Ta-da!  I didn’t even have to sew a stitch.  At some point I might make a stronger tie for the front because right now I’m just using a scrap of ribbon I found in a box, but for now it’s working.  Many, many thanks to Casey for the great idea – and for being a good sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment