Wednesday, March 14, 2012

True Mongooses

Today is one of those days.  I just need to find a way to get to the pharmacy and to Target and back to the doctor’s office.  It shouldn’t be that difficult, but somehow, somehow…There should be people you can call to come help you when your kids have ear infections and rashes and are teething and cranky and you just need to run into three places as fast as you can.  I think those people are called HAVING FAMILY IN TOWN.  Agh! 

I think it’s official now that I’m back on caffeine.  I gave it up for a few years and it felt so good and I slept so well and was so energized, but I’ve had so many days recently when I just needed a Diet Coke to fix things.  I guess the real deciding factor in terms of on or off the caffeine wagon is whether or not I have another Diet Coke this afternoon.

A picture to summarize the past two weeks, including but not limited to today:

IMG_8473

That’s only a small selection of the empty boxes in our recycling bin.

My mantra for today:  I’m doing the best that I can I’m doing the best that I can I’m doing the best that I can…

And now we’ll move on to more positive things, cheering myself up and pulling myself up by my bootstraps.

Our new family motto:

IMG_8469

It’s from The Jungle Book, the real Rudyard Kipling book, not the Disney movie.  From the story ‘Rikki-Tikki-Tavi’:

“It’s the hardest thing in the world to frighten a mongoose, because he is eaten up from nose to tail with curiosity.  The motto of all the mongoose family is, ‘Run and find out’; and Rikki-tikki was a true mongoose.”

When I made that sign, I kind of had in my head that I wanted it to look like a mongoose made it, or like it was hanging in a mongoose home.  That may sound weird, but the best thing about making something yourself is you can just say ARTISTIC LICENSE! and no one can argue with you.

The children are waking, so back to doing the best that I can, with or without another Diet Coke.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE the new sign and motto! Awesome!! The last two years (wow!) I was caffeine free - now I would just say I drink caffeine but without regularity. I think that's the way to go - not addicted but able to enjoy some coffee or a d.c. every couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I am definitely addicted. Sorry you guys are sick- people talk about fall colds, but my family always seems to be sickest right about now- beginning of spring. It's rough. Hope you get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GET.THE.DIET.COKE. Life is too short to be without it. I try to limit my intake, but not too seriously. You'll all be happier (if not healthier) with Mama and Her Diet Coke. Trust me, I have done the research. XOXO to you all...this time is short and and (mostly) sweet...but happier with a daily dose of Sonic.

    ReplyDelete