Monday, March 5, 2012

Retreating

Last week we got to take a bonus trip with my sister’s family, spending a few days in the always beautiful piney woods of Camp Allen.  Because we went just for a visit, not a retreat or camp session, it was the guilt free version of the weekends we made for ourselves during high school retreats, skipping programs to hang out in our cabin eating Sun Chips.  All we were missing was our friend Kate and a stack of magazines.  At one point we drove pass a field and Casey said, “That’s where Chris (her husband) and I met, at Midwinter.”  Apparently there was an organized game of ultimate frisbee, but when I told Casey I had absolutely no memory of that, she goes, “We weren’t playing, we just walked down with a can of Pringles to see who was out there.”  That sounds about right.

IMG_8331

The woods are so much quieter than our usual retreat, the beach.  Even on a calm day at the beach, there’s the constant sound of the waves.

IMG_8344

IMG_8359

We made some of our own noise, playing pirates on the playground and throwing sticks at trees to make the pollen puff out in a (hilarious) toxic green cloud.  Could that possibly have contributed to the intense allergies I’m feeling?

IMG_8394

IMG_8370

IMG_8388

IMG_8399

While I love being outdoors, I also love civilization, which is why our trip was made perfect by a daily trip to the conference center for a nice afternoon cup of coffee.

IMG_8403

And no afternoon coffee break would be complete for Rush and Tate without a nice run up and down a hill.

IMG_8421

IMG_8423

My brother-in-law Chris was the chaplain for the week, so we did manage to make it to a few Evening Prayers.  Tate and I tried to make it to Morning Prayer once, but Tate was more interested in communing –loudly- with nature, so we enjoyed God’s creation outside the chapel.

IMG_8412

In the book I’m reading, the author says that in addition to our recognized sacraments, there are limitless opportunities for sacraments, times when ordinary things are filled with God’s grace and love.  There is something wonderful, perhaps sacramental, in watching my children run around at Camp Allen.

I’m feeling less sacramental today though, as I look at the bags to be unpacked, clothes to be washed, and kitchen to be dealt with…oh well, back from the retreat to the daily.  I’m going to get Tate from his nap and find the joy.

3 comments:

  1. Correction: I never felt guilty about anything that I skipped at a retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! The photographs alone of the boys was wonderful! Also, that playground wasn't to code.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be a travelling park inspector: NO playgrounds are to code.

      Delete