Monday, April 2, 2012

A Good Man is Hard to Find*

Trent said I was a little harsh in the construction party post regarding bringing his work home.  Maybe that’s true, but I do know what RFI stands for, and is that really necessary?  Either way, I do think he is a fabulous person and he does some very creative things.  Therefore, consider this post the first in a three part series entitled “A Good Man is Hard to Find.”

So after 3 1/2 years of ignoring our front yard, we finally tackled it this year. 

First, the Befores:

IMG_6532

That’s September 2011, but really it could be any day.  Until last weekend, the front yard always looked like that.

IMG_7293

I just found that picture from Halloween when I was looking for old pics of the front of our house.  It barely shows anything of the house, but Tate’s expression is priceless.  What, does he not like wearing a kangaroo suit in 80 degree weather?

And the Afters:

IMG_8710

IMG_8712

We spent a long time wondering what to do, when my mom says, “Why don’t you make the flower bed smaller?”  Of course!  So we do need to take the final step of getting sod for the expanse of dirt formerly known as an empty flower bed. 

IMG_8709

Our favorite part is the little path, finally solving the problem of getting from the car to the front door.  Previously you had to walk on the grass, which of course meant no grass would grow there.  Trent made the path and I’m impressed.  I’m also amazed that he just figured out how to do it, bought the supplies, and made a great addition.  Plus, he did most of the work in the dark, in the evenings after work.  Well done, Trent.

IMG_8711

Now it’s time to see how many of the plants we can keep alive.

 

*Trent and I like to good-naturedly annoy each other by using the phrase “A Good Man is Hard to Find” in reference to the Flannery O’Connor short story of the same title.  Anyone else read that in high school?  Everyone gets murdered at the end?  A good man is apparently very hard to find. 

Trent just corrected me – the Flannery O’Connor short story he really likes to reference to annoy me is “Good Country People.”  He’ll usually refer to someone as “good people” and then I ask if the so-called “good-people” have stolen any prosthetic legs lately. 

The question right now is why is Trent still awake?  It’s after 10.

One day he’s going to take time from his busy schedule of landscaping and talking about work to read those short stories.

4 comments:

  1. Looks awesome!!! I love that little walkway - it adds a lot. Can't wait to come see it in real life! Those chairs look good there too. As for bringing work home... last night Chris and I had a conversation about his use of the aspergillum. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, the more use of the aspergillum, the better.

      Delete
  2. Oh just some prophylactics and a set of dirty playing cards. Why, what do YOU keep in your bible suitcase?

    I have also wondered if Wren will ever decide to change her name to Hulga.

    Fingers crossed!!!!!

    ReplyDelete