Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I’m Still Thankful For…

having family to visit for Thanksgiving!

Thursday was the first ever Rush Family Fun Run and Walk, which was a great way to start off a long weekend where eating a snack means a loaded plate of Thanksgiving leftovers.

IMG_9924

We squeezed in a bit of game playing

IMG_9947

and some cousin time.

IMG_9957

Because Thanksgiving is the holiday when Trent’s siblings are all together, we did our handmade gift exchange on Friday.  We drew names months ago and set out to make each person a gift for under $20, or as I like to think, under $5, because as a family we’re not spending $80 on handmade gifts.

For our niece Remi, Trent made a pocket to hang off the side of her bed and store books, flashlights, and whatever it is that tweens need at night.

IMG_9869

IMG_9871

Rush “made” an laptop sleeve for his Uncle Troy. 

IMG_9908

Tate painted a gold, glittery vase for Gigi.

IMG_9911

IMG_9914

I love the handmade gift exchange all year, except for actually making the gifts with the boys. Can’t everyone just imagine the smooth, crafty mom who seamlessly (pun intended) leads her sons to unleash their full power of creativity in making their gifts?  The reality, of course, is sitting with Rush on my lap at the sewing machine, while I’m sweating and pleading with him not to switch levers or pull thread while we’re sewing, and trying to rein in a one-year-old with a paintbrush full of permanent gold glitter paint and a large glass object.  Then they both lose interest after 90 seconds and I finish their gifts. 

I painted gold, glittery wine glasses for my sister-in-law, Julee.

IMG_9861

IMG_9921

The fun run, game playing, and handmade gift exchange accounted for 10% of the trip.  The other 90% was dominated by eating and reading and snoozing with my sister on my parents’ bed while waiting for football to be over so we could watch Mad Men on DVD.  I love Thanksgiving.

I’m playing the Episcopalian card and not starting one bit of Christmas preparations until Advent starts on Sunday.  I love all the Christmas preparations, I really do, but I’m just not ready yet, even for Christmas music in the car.  I’m happily watching decorations come out around the neighborhood, but I’m enjoying an extra week of catching my breath and trying (in vain) to get the house clean before pulling out our own decorations.  I’ve also decided to start my new year’s resolutions with the start of the new church year, so when Advent starts on Sunday, so does my one new year’s resolution: Have A Good Attitude. 

On Sunday, Michael Buble, the Elf Soundtrack, and John Denver and the Muppets will start their domination of my playlist.  I’m going to start marking cookie recipes in December magazines, and my sparkly new attitude will take effect.  But for the rest of this week, I’ll just be enjoying Ordinary Time.

2 comments:

  1. You need to check out the new Cee Lo/muppets Christmas collaboration. It's kind of amazing.

    And my Christmas preparations are 70% supergluing together various broken decorations and ornaments after the kids "decorate." This year baby Jesus was headless within 10 minutes of unpacking him... which lends some weight to the tradition of not putting him in the nativity until Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, what happened to Trent's arm?

    ReplyDelete