Tuesday, November 20, 2012

On Eating

Full disclosure: not one of the following photographs is remotely recent, meaning if food is featured in a photo, and I'm seeing you over Thanksgiving, there’s only a slight chance you will actually see the following food in real life.  Most of these pictures are from a folder on the computer titled “Halloween 2012” which includes photographs taken in September.  We also still have a “Happy Haunting” sign in our fireplace, so it let’s assume that time is flying by faster than we can process it.  It’s a good thing we’re not a put up the tree the day after Thanksgiving family; that would never, never work here. 

IMG_0291

While you probably won’t get to eat oyster crackers or pumpkin chocolate chip muffins from me this week, if you do happen to receive a bottle of wine it will likely to delivered in one of the million wine bags that burst forth from my sewing machine.  Most were created from odd sized fabric in my craft closet, but one fabulous bag is made from an old pair of my pajama pants.  Lucky you if you get that bottle! 

IMG_9722

Sometime in the past month or two or three, I made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins with my two little sous chefs and forgot to add the oil.  They were perfectly delicious without it.  Good to know.

IMG_9649

Maybe oil-less muffins will add balance to Sleeping Child Clutching Happy Meal.

IMG_0310

One of the biggest lies I believed about children –pre-children- was that if you offer a variety of foods, kids will naturally balance their own diet.  Um, nope.  No.  I also like the idea, promoted by all baby propaganda, that if you feed your baby a variety of vegetable and fruit purees from the first time they start eating, they will develop a taste for vegetables.  Here’s the reality:  Children will starve themselves before they will eat enough vegetables to self balance their diets.  If you offer them anything that’s not a vegetable, like a Happy Meal or a piece of string cheese, they will use it for sustenance and forsake all others.  The will pick individual grains of rice out of stir fry.  

I did a spiritual gifts test at church on Sunday and one of the questions was “Do you work well under pressure?”  I responded with the highest answer –whatever that was- something like ALWAYS TRUE.  Now that I’ve created a high pressure environment for myself by writing this instead of doing the twenty real things I need to accomplish before bed, and it’s almost midnight, I think I’ll get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment