Thursday, April 24, 2014

Ninja Turtle Dog, Ninja Turtle Dog, What Do You See?

While our home is full of craft supplies and tools and there are typically projects in progress on any blank surface, I’m not great at sitting down with my kids to walk them through a project.  More often I have something I want to work on, so I’ll just get a pile of supplies for the boys and gather at the kitchen table so they can create something while I work on my thing.  Great for learning to be creative, not great for learning any specific technique. 

Recently, Rush has really be into art.  During what would have been naptime yesterday, I found him on the floor with felt, elastic, pinking shears, and glue, making a butterfly.  He appears to have a creative process similar to mine, which includes sitting on the floor in the middle of a big pile of glue sticks and paper or fabric, and seeing what comes together.  I’m so proud of him for being so creative, yet also feeling a little guilty for not sitting down with him to work on making butterflies (or whatever) together.

So while Holly was on her late afternoon nap, we all headed for the kitchen table.  Rush had asked questions about the pictures in a library book earlier in the week, so we sat down to make Eric Carle inspired art.

2014-04-23 15.45.12

2014-04-23 15.46.28

2014-04-23 15.45.59

Rush loved making a “Ninja Turtle Dog”; Tate lost interest pretty quickly.

2014-04-23 15.46.09

As Rush moved on to his flower, the situation, like all fun times, rapidly deteriorated into tears and shoving.  I started sweating (note to self- don’t make coffee in the afternoon when it’s hot outside) and getting annoyed that the bickering and cutting popcorn with scissors was keeping me from finishing my own project, which I had gradually started making instead of focusing all my attention on their projects.  Then, as it always goes when a box of crayons comes out, I outlasted both of them and sat by myself to finish up.

2014-04-23 15.46.41

Structure is just another reason that school is a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. worth it though. your project is awesome. although rush's ninja turtle dog is pretty awesome too.

    ReplyDelete