Wednesday, October 1, 2014

How It All Went Down

Sometimes behind a finished project-

2014-09-28 19.05.42

2014-09-28 19.07.04

there’s this-

2014-09-28 19.11.04

Trent found me sitting in a pile of pieced together shapes, trying to arrange them into a square or rectangular shape and we had this conversation:

T- Why can’t you just cut out squares and sew them together?
K- Because I’m the only person in the world who can make this quilt!  I can take these fabric scraps and turn them into something and if I make it up, it’s something only I can do!  God made me and I’m the only one who can make this quilt!

As it turned out, no one could make that quilt.  It was a disaster and all the pieces will end up back in scrap bags.  But oddly enough, the hours –hours- spent piecing and cutting and ironing were not wasted.  If that’s what it took to wind down some nights, great.  There are worse ways to wind down. 

So I started over and cut out squares.  And miraculously, they ended up fitting into a pattern of sorts. 

2014-09-28 19.08.12

It’s a baby quilt for a baby due in November.  Every bit of it was made from scraps, including the batting which was left over from a previous quilt.  As my pregnant friend is also interested in discussing the Zero Waste Home every time we’re together, I hope she digs it.

No comments:

Post a Comment