Monday, October 27, 2014

Toast With A New Vintage

The other day I read one of those things (Right?  A thing?  It wasn’t a poem, just something online.)about having children and how they grow so quickly.  One day you’re rocking them to sleep and then the next moment they’re too big for that and where has the time gone?  Of course I cried, because it was sweet and also emotionally manipulative.

2014-10-24 16.55.43

It is so precious to rock children to sleep and hold them and snuggle with them.  BUT- if I was still rocking all three of them to sleep, I wouldn’t get to be filled with joy watching Rush hop out of the car and look around for his friends, smiling and waving, as he walks into his elementary school.  I wouldn’t get to hear Tate talking in his beautiful voice, where L’s and pronounced as Y’s or W’s.  I wouldn’t be seeing Holly crawling all over the place in her black cat Halloween costume, desperate for a piece of candy, which no one would give her, the nerve!  (Until I finally did give her a lollipop for a few minutes- the benefits of being a third child.)

2014-10-24 16.57.11

I think everyone is a little nervous that when times are good, it’s the peak of life.  Can we all just agree to get a grip and be optimistic about the future?

2014-10-24 16.58.27

2014-10-24 16.58.29

C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity-

“This is, I think, one little part of what Christ meant by saying that a thing will not really live unless it first dies.  It is simply no good trying to keep any thrill:  that is the very worst thing you can do.  Let the thrill go –let it die away- go on through that period of death into the quieter interest and happiness that follow- and you will find you are living in a world of new thrills all the time.”

1 comment:

  1. This makes me happy. Your whole blog makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete