Thursday, October 21, 2010

Costumes

Rush was originally going to be a kangaroo for Halloween, until I tried to get him to try on the costume I bought last year and he totally refused. He refused all animal related costumes at Target also, possibly on principle. At that point I decided that a cowboy is a great Halloween costume for a 19 month old, because with his strong will and changing opinions a costume that primarily consists of regular clothes is a costume that might actually wear.


For a few days he was going to be Woody from toy story and I had plans to make a cow print vest with a pull sting on the back. Luckily, my college roommate Katy threw a costume party for her three year old's birthday, so we were able to test out the general cowboy costume in advance. The cowboy hat and bandana came off within one minute of arriving at their house, and because there was a moonwalk, so did his shoes. Cowboy boots were totally out of the question from the beginning, but at this point we've ditched the Woody idea as well. He looks great in his good old-fashioned cowboy clothes and at least looks like a cowboy for the 8 seconds that he keeps his hat on his head.

By the way, it was a great birthday party: a moonwalk, bobbing for apples, face painting, a pinata and a fabulous, professional looking cake that Katy made. I also had a chance to eat a childhood favorite that I haven't had in years, a chili bun, which is when you cover a hotdog bun in chili and eat it with a fork. Who wants the actual hot dog part of a chili dog?

In other totally unrelated news, I FINALLY finished the quilt I started way back in 2007. It's 100% done and I've been wrapping it around my head every night when I crash on the couch. Trent calls it a true patchwork because it was mostly scraps that I just started randomly sewing together. I measured it the same way I always measure a quilt, by laying down on the floor and making sure it will cover both my shoulders and feet. I'm not sure how big it is, but I'm hoping it will fit a twin bed. Really though, I'm just happy it's finished.


1 comment:

  1. In that top picture I can really see the Svenson/Rush, for maybe the first time! What a handsome kid.

    And your quilt looks amazing. I measure that exact same way- although it makes buying the batting kind of confusing.

    ReplyDelete