Monday, November 8, 2010

Thirty

I celebrated my thirtieth birthday last weekend –November 7, the greatest birthday ever- with a dinner party with some of my nearest and dearest. It was exactly the way I wanted to ring in a new decade. After a night of eating, drinking, talking, laughing, the only picture I took was…

IMG_4348 our empty dining room before anyone arrived. Super. Wouldn’t it have been nice to document a little more of the evening? Oh wait, I got this too:

IMG_4350

Where are the photos of my friends? My husband and son? My parents? Oh well, I guess I was having to much fun to worry about the camera. Thanks to my mom for cooking and Trent for making not only a cake (with my name on it) but also a double layer pumpkin cheesecake. Big birthdays deserve two desserts.

Another highlight was staying up until midnight to actually turn thirty. I enjoyed it for about ten minutes, then set the clocks back to end daylight savings and turned 29 again for another 50 minutes. Thanks to Ben Franklin for coming up with the idea so I could enjoy an additional 50 minutes of youth.

I’m excited about being thirty. As my friend Catherine said, “The thirties are a fantastic time when you don't have to feel precocious about being as sophisticated as you are.” Well spoken. Being thirty is also going to make some things I say so much more effective, for example, “Of course I can make waffles, I’m thirty years old.” It just has a nice ring to it.

For now I’m off to enjoy my new maturity by playing Sequence States and Capitals with Trent while eating a huge bowl of popcorn. I couldn’t ask for a better evening.

1 comment: