Sunday, August 28, 2011

Free Time

I recently finished another baby quilt for a new baby:

IMG_6550

Now I just need to get it in the mail before his arrival.  It’s small and plush and will hopefully be useful for baby lounging.  I always end up with “drop zones” all over the house when I have a newborn.  A blanket with a toy outside the bathroom, a blanket with a toy in the living room, a blanket with a toy on my bed…I set them up as needed throughout the day, pick them all up at night, then start over again the next morning.

IMG_6554

And I FINALLY finished the top to one of the boys’ quilts, basted all the layers together while watching one of Trent’s favorite movies, and then –and I almost thought this day would never come- I started quilting.  After changing the design and adding more fabric to make one quilt in progress into two, then finishing the top of one only to realize it was a square instead of a rectangle and having to add more fabric, it was so nice to see that an actual blanket is coming together.  My self-imposed Christmas deadline is starting to seem possible.

IMG_6563

And speaking of Christmas, we drew names with both Trent’s family and my own for the handmade gift exchanges.  Everyone has one family member to make a gift for, twenty dollar limit.  It was fun last year with Trent’s family so we started it with my own this year, but all of a sudden I realized that with 6 gifts to make total (adults only on my side), that could bring us to $120 for handmade gifts outside of the realm of regular gift giving.  Which means we will need to find inspiration and supplies here:

IMG_6560

Agh!  Time to clean out the craft closet.  What are those wires hanging from the top shelf?  Sometimes when I’m wasting time I like to go to flickr and type in “craft closet.”  Those closets looks nothing like that.

Right across from the craft closet is our treadmill.  I was wondering why I wasn’t losing weight even though I’m working out with a trainer twice a week and no longer having Pop Tarts and beer every day…

IMG_6558

Could it be the basket of fabric resting on the treadmill?  That closet has exploded all over that room.  I need to shift my free time priorities for at least the next month until the obstacle run I signed up for in a moment of crazy.  Especially since I haven’t been actually running.  At all.

What.  Was.  I.  Thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment