Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Miscellaneous Summer Wind Down Brain Wandering

Only a few more days of summer remain!  Rush is definitely ready for school.  Every day we talk about his backpack, nap mat, and new water bottle.  I told him there will be new kids in his class this year and he told me he’s going to hug them.

101_0589

It’s still going to be summery, hot and sweaty and popsicley.  But once school starts, September 1 is right around the corner and regardless of what the thermometer says, my fall starts during the drive home from the beach on Labor Day.  I thought the summer was going to seem long and that we might have long days wondering what to do.  Clearly I underestimated the demands of getting two children fed and napping every day.  Finding an hour to leave the house was a challenge.  It has been an unusual summer for us in that we were home most weekends and we barely made it to the pool.  There was a lot of family time, but not a lot of beach time.

IMG_6422

Last week I was in Beaumont and, as always, I came home with way too much stuff.  My mom and I turn into Becky Bloomwood and her mother when we’re together.  Among other things, I came home with two reams of computer paper, a brooch shaped like a kangaroo, and party supplies for a pirate birthday party.  I’ll throw a pirate party at some point in the future, right?

Next summer I need to plan a trip to visit with my sister so she can reign us in.  I could almost hear her voice admonishing “are you ever really going to wear purple eyeliner?”  But in the moment, with a Diet Coke and popcorn in one hand and the other pushing Tate in the cart, I couldn’t hear her voice loudly enough to put it back.  And surprise, it’s not a good look for me.

IMG_6431

The kangaroo brooch is fabulous though.  I’ll be The Girl with the Kangaroo Brooch.

IMG_6427

Bjorn is not allowed on the table, by the way.  But I’m not quite sure he knows he’s a cat.  He is allowed in the chairs and I think he sits and talks with my parents as they eat dinner. 

101_0591

We finally saw the final Harry Potter movie a few Fridays ago.  I’m still genuinely upset that either Hogwarts isn’t real or I’m a muggle.  At least I can still wait for Rush and Tate to get their letters when they are 11.  But I guess since we're not British, they won't be going to Hogwarts.  I wonder what the sister school in America is?

101_0576

My favorite thing about Harry Potter is how it connects people.  Last night I dropped by a friend’s house and her son showed me his new LEGO Diagon Alley.  I love being able to have a real conversation and connection with a seven year old.

Here’s another way I want to connect:  Casey, charming sister, best knitter that I know, please get out your Mrs. Weasley knitting needles and knit a sweater for me for Christmas.  You know the one, Gryffindor colors, big K on the front.  I would like it wrapped and sitting at the foot of the bed when I wake up on Christmas morning.  Thanks.  Love ya.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, #1. I admit that I was horrified that you bought purple eyeliner... until I remembered the teal eyeliner residing somewhere in the back of my makeup drawer. #2. I think you wayyy overestimate my knitting abilities. #3. I'm pretty sure the American school is in Salem. Isn't that mentioned in Goblet of Fire? #4. When I went home from college for one of the first times I found Mom and Dad no longer called my seat at the table "Casey's chair." I distinctly recall sitting down at the table and Dad requesting that I move out of "Bjorn's chair."

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as Bjorn doesn't have a color coded family cup, he's fine with me. Also he can't wear your mom's sweatshirts- that's my territory.

    Casey I'm putting in my order for a sweater too- Ravenclaw colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Said (almost-)7 year old already asked when you were going to come back and really play LEGO with him!

    ReplyDelete