Sunday, August 22, 2010

Hot and Steamy



We're in the midst of getting our new air conditioner installed, so no air conditioning at our house since yesterday morning. It started as a one day project, but you know how all home improvements go...a foot just crashed through the ceiling, so I'm not sure how much time sheetrock repair adds.

As soon as our air went off we went right into hurricane mode - we're sitting around in the dark, eating sandwiches and bread and butter and generally forgetting that we can use electricity. Last night as we waited for Rush to fall asleep -in the living room where we all slept- I almost pulled out the candelabra and Scrabble board, then remembered that we could turn on the lights. Really though, it's just too hot for lights. And Scrabble. We were all asleep by eight.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. I can't believe how non-insane you sound.

    When I was pregnant and we lost power I slept at someone else's house. Until I couldn't anymore. And then I willed myself into labor because HOSPITALS HAVE AC.

    What I'm saying is, COME STAY WITH ME! I will play all the scrabble you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly enough what kept me from going insane was remembering being a counselor at Camp Allen in the post-air conditioned cabins. It was like "hey, I'm pregnant but at least I'm not in a cabin with nine third graders who are going to be waking me up every hour wetting the bed or throwing up."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha- yeah. Or the poor inevitable bathroom buddy-less camper needs to walk to the bathroom AGAIN.

    And she lost her flashlight.

    And your bed, in addition to being hot, is also weirdly damp, because a camper left her wet swimsuit there all afternoon.

    ReplyDelete