Friday, August 20, 2010

Nesting

I'm in full nesting mode with this pregnancy. With Rush it was the less fun side of nesting: moving from the city to the suburbs, finding and buying a house (oh the nauseous moments in the backseat of our realtor's SUV), finding a piano mover, unpacking, ripping down the wallpaper in the kitchen. It was the things that an actual bird would do- build the nest instead of just pick out curtains for it. We did do some fun things, like paint the nursery and buy a crib, but it's not like I was knitting booties. Now there's more time for the details and I'm really focused on trying to get the house organized (ha) and as pleasant as possible before we become a family of four.

Giving new meaning to the phrase "cradle Episcopalian", I painted this prayer from Compline on the wall above the crib. Our intention was always to keep the nursery the nursery, but I didn't want the new baby to have a completely hand-me-down room. We'll probably add more finishing touches to the room once we move Rush's things into his new room. Please ignore the poor lighting in the picture; photography is clearly not my strong suit.


Moving Rush into a new bedroom means giving up my craft room. I thought it was going to be a sad day, yet somehow my new craft space in the extra bedroom turned out to be one of my favorite spots in the house. I think it's the Liz Lemon office spoon and fork on the wall. If you need me, I'll just be in my office trying to have it all.

And of course a top priority for me right now is making an Advent calendar, because what other things could I possibly have to do to get ready for a new baby? It just seems 100% necessary to have it finished by Advent this year. I'm using my grandmother's stash of sequins and beads which I inherited and are organized by color in various old prescription and medicine bottles. Two of the prescriptions are dated 1962.


It's a good feeling knowing that none of these things are mandatory. We have a crib, car seat, and stash of white and yellow onesies, so until January we can just focus on the enjoyable details. Next Monday will be the halfway point of this pregnancy - 4.5 months to go!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm... I think I would have gone with "Your adversary the devil prowls like a roaring lion in the night, seeking to devour you" for the crib quote.

    Everything else looks really great though!

    ReplyDelete