Monday, August 23, 2010

Look Ahead


Today was the first day of mother's day out for Rush. He was obviously excited. I'm so proud of him for being such a brave and adaptable little guy. There were no tears for him when I dropped him off - as soon as we walked into the classroom he saw a play kitchen, stack of trucks, and basket full of baby dolls, so he was set. When I picked him up the note from his teachers said "Rush had an awesome day." Exactly.


Calling it "Mother's Day Out" makes it sound like the mothers get to wear white gloves with their matching hat, purse, and shoes while they meet for club sandwiches, or a least put on lipstick and get to go to Starbucks. The reality was getting to turn up the Hairspray soundtrack as loudly as I wanted and doing laundry without having to point at the Shout bottle and loudly say "POISON!" every ten seconds. I can almost hear my own mother's own maniacal laughter as I realize another truth of motherhood.

I missed the little guy today, but I know it's going to be great for him to be around a classroom full of little kids, getting to play on the playground, eat lunch at a little kid table, and hopefully learn to take naps on his nap mat. I can't wait for his first arts and crafts project to come home in his folder. He's growing up so quickly, but we're embracing each new stage. This is just the first of many exciting first days of school.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I'm waiting for the next truth of motherhood to hit here. Specifically - the first arts and crafts project is cute. The subsequent house-burying 20 billion projects...

    Yeah. That's what vermicomposting is for.

    ReplyDelete