Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Celebrating Like It’s 1985

My friend Kellaura shares my love of 80’s Christmas crafts, so she came up with the idea of making salt dough ornaments from a recipe in the December 1985 edition of Gourmet magazine.  We spent all day Sunday making ornaments, listening to –mostly bad- Christmas music (we need to delete some of that from our computer, or at least make a playlist of music we want to listen to), drinking hot Dr. Pepper and eating cookies.  Regarding the Christmas music, Trent texted me earlier to let me know that NPR has it’s streaming Christmas music again this year.  We found it so late last year, but now that I know it’s back, we’ll be listening.

IMG_4590

Anyway, getting back to the salt dough, it was exactly the kind of December day that I dream about all year.  Last year we were so busy remodeling our kitchen, a horrible plan for December, that we didn’t get a lot of time to leisurely make ornaments.  Trent and Nick made a few, then moved on to hang out in the backyard, but I think Kellaura and I could have sat at the table decorating with seeds and beans all day.

IMG_4592  The ornaments were baked and cooled by Sunday night, and since then have been sitting on our kitchen counter awaiting a coat of shellac.   

IMG_4607 Besides the ornaments, we also ended up with some entertaining self portraits of Rush and his godfather that I found on the camera…IMG_4594 So far this December has been heavenly.  As a family, we’ve finished off about 5 dozen cookies since Saturday.  Literally, that is not an exaggeration.  It looks like I’m going to have time to do at least two of the Christmas projects that I classified as “optional.”  And I just answered a knock on the door and it was the UPS man delivering a box from Williams Sonoma.  I would wait for Trent to open it, as it is addressed to “The Williams Family”, but it says “Perishable” so…

No comments:

Post a Comment