Thursday, December 16, 2010

Halls: Decked

Ah, I love our Christmas tree this year. I could just sit and stare at it for hours, or lay under it and snooze with the cats. Sometimes Rush will walk in the living room, turn on the tree lights, then throw his arms back, clearly amazed that something so awesome is in our house. I feel the same way.IMG_4603 This is our first year to have Christmas stockings in our own home. My mom made Trent and Rush’s, Gran made mine back when I was little, and I just made a tiny stocking for the baby. I intended for it to be whimsical and actually go with the other three stockings, but I made it while watching two back to back episodes of Law and Order SVU, which wasn’t really putting me in a whimsical mood. Next year it will be a tree ornament anyway, so it’s fine. Hopefully my mom has another fantastic stocking up her sleeve for the new baby. IMG_4600

This year I took an idea from Martha Stewart’s Good Things and made a Christmas card holder with clothespins, wrapping paper, and Mod Podge. The cards were hanging from some really cool paper ribbon that I found at the dollar store, but the cats have made it their nightly goal to sabotage the ribbon. After fixing it every morning after breakfast, I’m finally adapting it: no more hanging ribbons. It’s still a decoration that I love.

IMG_4605 I love the days leading up to Christmas when the preparation really gets into full swing. Rush and I made Chex Mix for the garbage men this morning so we can give them their gifts tomorrow, and it’s really barely enough to thank them for not only keeping the neighborhood clean but also being the highlight of Rush’s day every Tuesday and Friday. As soon as I post this, I’m going to wrap presents while Rush is napping. My agenda for tonight includes working the two gifts I’m still trying to complete, one for my dad and one for my niece Trinity, the name I drew in the Williams family homemade gift exchange. In an odd way, I’m also looking forward to making a grocery list to get ready for all the food we’ll be making while our family is here, and about making cookies. ‘Tis the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment